Sunday, September 20, 2009

3 weeks down!

Jó napot kivanok!! (Good day!)
I'm happy to report that I've survived yet another week in Budapest. Scratch that..I've soaked in another glorious week in Budapest. Still can't get enough of it! This past week, I saw two movies, both in English too! We had already planned to see Inglorious Bastards Tuesday night, but when we saw that Harry Potter was playing in English on Monday night (and it only cost $5), we simply couldn't resist. So, yes, I've seen Harry Potter 3 times now- once on opening day, once in 3-D, and now once in a hungarian movie theater...and it just keeps getting better and better :)
The rest of the week was devoted to eating dinner at an outstanding Indian restaurant, seeing hungarian folk dancing for the first time (and vowing to learn!!), and studying for my neuro exam Friday morning. To unwind on Friday afternoon, some of us took advantage of the pseudo-summer weather and ventured to Margit Island. The night only got better when we went to an "International" party in one of the dance clubs in Pest. Though my legs were exhausted the next morning, one of the girls in my program and I decided to go out for a 6 mile run: part of our training for a 10k we're going to run in mid October! All throughout our run, we kept repeating, "Look over there! See that??! We get to live here!" So it's truly with a thankful heart that I say my experience here so far has been filled with countless blessings.
Last night, we hosted a potluck in the dorms, and everyone in our program made a dish with his/her roommate. Now, for those of you who know me (and you don't even really have to know me that well), you know I can really put it away when it comes to food. No problem. I have not, however, eaten to the point where I've been uncomfortably full in the last 3 weeks, so eating buffet style like that completely destroyed me (and everyone else too). It really put into perspective how unnecessary those Old Country Buffet portions are at home!
This morning, I went to church for the first time- an International church on the Buda side across the river from Margit Island. I didn't realize how much I needed it until I was so overcome with emotion that I couldn't help but cry..I was so happy to be there. Everyone was so welcoming, and I'm looking forward to checking out a Bible study they host on Tuesday nights. Yep, the good stuff just keeps on coming!
Well, it's time to go make a dent in some of my reading for this week, but here are a couple of pictures from last week, so enjoy!
Love and miss you all,
Val

No comments:

Post a Comment